Monday, April 27, 2009

Short Shorts!



Yoga Apparel is a fast growing industry. As the popularity of yoga grows, so does the rest of the yoga industry. Yoga clothing, accessories, DVDs, books, you name it and it's probably out there. When I first started practicing I didn't want to invest much money on yoga clothes because I didn't think I'd stick to it. So I wore my gym clothes. My clothes would come out soaked at the end of class. Not too long after I purchased my first monthly package did I go out and buy a few yoga outfits. I got a few tops and several cropped pants. As I eventually ended up at the front of the class, I immediately decided that there was no way I would wear shorts no matter how hot the room. I didn't want the people behind me staring at my stuff. How embarrassing! I didn't understand how the women in my class would wear these tiny shorts that would barely cover their behind. I would worry that as soon as bend over people would see the too much of me!

As soon as I committed to teacher training, my teachers told me I needed to start wearing shorts. In training no pants are allowed! You need to be able to see your legs in the mirror to get the alignment correct. Eventually I gave in a few months back and got two pairs of shorts at the Lululemon Outlet. Boy did I luck out! I found shorts that were a "tall" length. Perfect for me! I'm 5'1 so the tall shorts hit me on my mid-thigh. So for two months I've been rotating my two pairs of shorts along with my cropped pants. I'm still getting used to the idea of my thunder thighs/tree stumps being exposed to the world.

Wearing shorts in class is also a bit of a challenge. There isn't much material to absorb all of the sweat dripping down from my body. So whenever there's a posture where I need to hold on to my legs all of the sudden I'd slip, lose my grip, and or come out of the posture early. It felt like my first class all over again. Now I'm told to get used to wearing shorts for training and that it will make my practice stronger. I suppose there's some truth to that.

At training there are about 11-12 classes each week. Given that there isn't much time to do laundry I have to stock up on shorts. So rather than buying them all at once I thought it would be a good idea to slowly start my collection. Yesterday I picked up a pair of shorts at Lucy. The speedy shorts (see image) at Lucy fit well . It's a good conservative length. They were $10 off if you brought in an old pair of pants! I'll slowly work my way into the short shorts!

No comments:

Post a Comment